Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mountain Days

I guess everything is bound to change eventually, though it's still sometimes surprising when it does. For the first time, I have to cut hours at the book store where I work. Unfortunately bookshops are facing a financial crisis like many businesses nowadays. I won't go into details, as this is a public blog, but the up shot is that I am cutting my own hours to 4 days a week to help the company. I wouldn't have done so without this sort of push, but I see it also as a sudden opportunity. I am excited about trying to make the store do better, which I think it can do better; but I am also just enchanted with the idea of 3 days off every week. At least for a while.

I have thought about what I might do with this new day. I thought about calling them "mountain days", and use the time to go hiking. Packing a thermos and my notebook, maybe my camera. Cycling: goes without saying. Maybe even look into another job, though part-time. I am excited about doing more with less. So suddenly my fantasies concerning $900 wheelsets and Belgian bicycles are on hold. Unless I win the lottery. Unless somebody buys me a lottery ticket and then I win the lottery.

1 comment:

  1. I am enchanted by your enchantment.

    Really-- that's a special thing.

    ReplyDelete